Timed Pair Share
The Timed Pair Share is a simple, pair share routine for open ended discussion topics or questions. Students are timed to ensure equal participation.
- Create deep questions in advance in order to ensure appropriate responses and thinking
- Post questions and clipart on powerpoint slides as prompt
- Make sure everyone everyone has ONLY 1 partner (Groups of 3 take turns using Timed Round Robin)
Here's What you Do!
4. Student A shares with Student B
Start the timer after prompting Student A to begin. They’ll use the full amount of time to share. If A runs out of things to say, B needs to prompt them with follow up questions. But it’s A’s job to talk that whole amount of time.
5. Student B shares with Student A
Now B will recieve the same amount of time to share their thoughts.
Use an interval timer to make this transition fluid or you can reset your timer here. Once again, B will use the whole time to expound their ideas and A can help them out with follow-up questions.